Milford Sound Private Day Trip
See the best of Milford Sound through the eyes of a local
Tour at a Glance
- Exclusive, privately-hosted day out in Milford Sound and surrounding areas
- Create your own itinerary: your day, your way
- Hosted by Fiordland local Bard Crawford
- NZ$1499 for the day for up to 4 people including transfers, lunch, and refreshments
- Optional extra of a privately-guided Milford Sound cruise (cruise cost not included)
Your day, your way
Design an incredible, privately-hosted day out in Milford Sound. Pick and choose from some of Milford’s most popular attractions (see below) to create a personalised itinerary for you and your companions. Ideal for couples, families, and small groups (up to four people).
With local host, Bard Crawford
See Milford Sound through the eyes of your local host, Bard. A gifted storyteller, Bard will tell you all about Milford’s vibrant history, flora and fauna, wildlife, Māori legends, and local culture. Bard’s passion for the area is infectious; you’ll love hearing his local yarns.
“We thoroughly enjoyed our day with Bard! I wouldn’t normally book a guide, but we really wanted to make the most of our time in Fiordland. We appreciated Bard’s flexibility, especially because it happened to rain heavily while we were there. Our day focused on hiking, and Bard shared a lot of interesting stories about the area. We saw many birds, including an owl and a falcon! I feel like we learned a lot and saw more than we would have just exploring on our own. It was a great experience!”
Jillian from the USA, May 19
Possible attractions & experiences
Create your dream Milford Sound day trip from some of the below attractions. If you would like to include more hiking or incorporate a privately-guided Milford Sound cruise, please just ask. We’re open to all your suggestions.
- Milford Sound foreshore & township (60mins): After meeting you at the Milford Sound Lodge (or picking you up from Te Anau), we will show you around the Milford Sound township. Explore the local community, the fishing fleet, and the foreshore walk, all while learning about the area’s history.
- Lake Marian Track (20-30 mins return): Hike a stunning section of the Lake Marian Track. This short hike meanders alongside the Marian Creek to a beautiful series of waterfalls. Bard will point out local flora, fauna, and wildlife along the way.
- Humboldt Falls Track (30 mins return): Hike through picturesque rainforest to a lookout where you’ll be mesmerised by the Humboldt Falls. The falls descend 275 metres in three drops (the highest is 134 metres) and are set in a beautiful valley landscape.
- Routeburn Track Key Summit Trail (3 hours): Enjoy panoramic views over mountains and alpine lakes and tarns on this section of the Routeburn Track, one of New Zealand’s Great Walks. The Key Summit Trail departs from Milford Road and is a great way for kids to experience an alpine environment. It’s a slightly challenging yet achievable half-day walk.
- Hollyford Museum: Located at Gunn’s Camp in the Hollyford Valley, this quaint museum is an ode to the area’s original settlers and hardy road builders. See relics from the past, read about local legend Davey Gunn, and learn about the construction of Homer Tunnel and Milford Road. The Hollyford Museum is a great way to get a feel for how life might have been back then, and Bard will add to the experience with some tales of his own.
Stay at Milford Lodge for 2 nights to really immerse yourself into Fiordland and simply choose to add the Milford Sound Private Day Trip when you book your stay with us